Recipe: Annabel Karmel’s Apple Crumble
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 minutes
Makes 6 portions
For the filling
- 750g sweet eating apples, peeled and cut into slices
- Juice of 1 orange
- 25g butter
- 2tbsp caster sugar
For the topping
- 100g plain flour
- A generous pinch of salt
- 75g cold butter, cut into pieces
- 60g Demerara sugar
- 40g ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Put the apples into a bowl and pour over the orange juice.
- Melt the butter in a large pan.
- Drain the apples, reserving the orange juice, and sauté the sliced apples with the sugar for about 8 minutes. Then stir in 2 tablespoons of the reserved orange juice.
- To prepare the topping, whiz the flour, salt, butter and sugar in a food processor for a few seconds until it resembles breadcrumbs and then stir in the ground almonds. Alternatively, mix together the flour, salt and sugar and then rub in the butter using your fingers.
- Spoon the cooked apples into a 20cm/8in round glass ovenproof dish and cover with the crumble topping. Bake in the oven for approx. 30 minutes. Alternatively you could make 4-6 individual portions in ramekins.
Recipe By Annabel Karmel